Internet Recipe - - Malaysian Favourite Ayam Masak Kicap

The weather has been mad recently as KL is experiencing heatwave and gaze. Remember to keep your body and skin hydrated always! While you get bored of outside food, I challenged myself to cook a Malaysian favorite - Ayam Masak Kicap with Internet Recipe. Thanks to Delishably.com recipe, it is super easy. 

A popular dish in Malaysia, commonly eaten at local mamaks or banana leaf restaurants. Diversity of multi races in Malaysia make it a favourite for everyone! This is my partner's fave, so 🙏🏻 nothing gets burned or tossed out! 😊 


Ingredients you'll need (*non spicy version)

6 pcs Chicken
Tumeric
Salt
Sugar
Oyster sauce
Black Pepper
Tomato Sauce
Sweet Soy Sauce
Dark Soy Sauce
Tumeric (Serbuk Kunyit)
2x cloves Garlic
1x Onion
5x Red Onion
1/2 inch Ginger
1x Cinnamon (kayu manis) 
2x Cardamon (buah pelaga)
1x Star Anise (bunga lawang)
1x Potato (sliced thinly) 


Step 1: Prep the chicken

Trim fats away & skin the chicken. Marinate with salt & turmeric. Leave for 1 hour.


Step 2: Blend ingredients

Slice & chop onion, red onions, garlic & ginger finely before blending in food processor.

Tip: Ensure all ingredients are blended finely & no thick bits so that your kicap sauce will be flawlessly smooth.


Step 3: Frying

Heat up cooking oil in your pan and once ready, fry your chickens. Half-cooked will do as later you'll be cooking em again with the gravy. Once done, take out and keep aside. Moving on to potatoes. Fry em and keep em on the side. 



Now, you get why I shared to blend them as fine as possible  Mine had some coarse bits but I forgive myself too 😂 cause check out the end product 👐🏻 at bottom post.

Step 4: Mix Everything

This is the exciting part where everything comes together. And my phone (Huawei Mate 10) was beyond oily trying to take photos and video.

Add the blended onion, garlic, ginger & shallots and fry till it turns light brown. At this moment, fragrant amazing scent fills up your kitchen (and home or possibly neighbour's 🤭). Mix the sauces - dark soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, sugar & black pepper and ensure it is even.

Dont forget your cinnamon, star anise and cardamon. The smell is heavenly. 😍



Now, for the finale. Add in your chicken pieces, mix evenly through this amazing gravy. Add in water based on your gravy preference. I added another 1 cup as I can add on to my rice later. After 10 minutes, add in the potato slices and let it cook for another 10 minutes... And you're done!
I was busy prepping for the other dishes too and this was the finale of my dinner featuring ayam masak kicap as star dish. Had my partner tried it and 💯 rating. Lol, it was really easy to follow and cook. Would I attempt this again? Of course! You should too.

For those of you who enjoy the heat, you can follow recipes with 🌶 chilli paste and ingredients to turn up the heat 🔥. 


Bonus ✅ - Check out my how to video 👆🏻 or on my IG post

In Bangkok now, but am totally missing Malaysian food as I'm blogging this. Till the next recipe, stay fabulous! 

X 💋 X 💋 


Comments